Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Battle of Five Armies

Awhile back I mentioned that I had been working on the Games Workshop Battle of Five Armies boxed set. Well it was finished quite a few months ago and I have just now had a chance to take some pictures. I must admit that 10mm was a bit much but it was interesting for a change. People who do entire Napoleonic or similar armies have my respect that is for certain. At least I can say they are now all painted and ready for action. Of course, never having played a wargame like this I am not sure how much action they will see, however, they are ready should the time ever arise. This is all five armies and every hero and accessory as well. The coin is a US quarter used for scale reference so you can get an idea of just how tiny these things are. Again, the camera is lacking and hopefully one day I will get a new one but for now I am using what I have access to.
Here are the pictures:


The first few are the Orc Heroes.




 
Next up are the Warg's with riders. First a single unit then the who detachment.



 
The following are the Orc Troops and these were by far the most numerous.



 
The following are the rider less Wargs.





 
These are the Human, Elf, and Dwarf Heroes along with Gandalf and Beorne.


 
Here are the dwarf units. Not too many of those.



 
Below are the Human Bowmen and Spearmen.



 
These are the Elven Spearmen and Bowmen.



 
The next three photos are of the backs of all the units just in case someone was curious for some reason.



 
So that's it, the entire Battle of Five Armies painted and ready. Its a cool set, and the main advice I would have to anyone attempting to paint it is to break it up into small sections or you will burn out. Paint all the Dwarfs first as they are the smallest unit, both literally and figuratively, and once you see the set painted up you will be more likely to want to continue. Typically when I paint I will paint some wargame figures, like rank and file type of stuff, then a large scale 54mm or above figure, then maybe a 1/35th armor vehicle with some figures in a vignette, and start the process over. I have found I don't lose my enthusiasm for painting and it helps to keep it fresh. The main downside is from going from scale to scale but you get used to it. I know I am not a world class painter and I don't pretend to be. I paint what I like and enjoy it so this process works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Comments or questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here: