Saturday, February 2, 2013

Older figures from Michael Roberts, Dragon, Andrea, and Tamiya

Part of the reason I put this blog up was to document for myself the progress I have made or not made. For me personally it is good to see my work through the filter of pictures. You can judge more critically the areas where you need to improve or clean up when you see it through a web browser with close up photographs. I know that I often miss things because I am looking at the figure for so long during the painting process that I just skip over things that are apparent later on. In the spirit of that idea I am posting some older works that I have not put up yet. These works are several years old so it clearly shows areas where I have improved and need to improve.

The first is a 1/12 scale Michael Roberts Ltd figure of a Napoleonic Era Trumpeter. Looking back over it I know that the white of the eyes are a bit on the large side and the iris and pupil should be larger. The red of the uniform needs to be a brighter shade of red as well. I am not certain but I believe this guy is a French Trumpeter but the uniforms are quite similar during this time period so he could be representative of another European nation.


Next up to bat is a 1/16 Tamiya Modern German Bundeswehr Tanker. I actually am very pleased with the way the camouflage pattern came out on this figure. I think it follows the pattern pretty well as used by the tankers of this era. The forehead on this figure needs some work and I think the problem is that I went with eyebrows that are too blonde and do not show up well.I would also update the base as it is pretty dull and lifeless. I can verify that at figure shows it might say on the admission form and they might tell you that they do not judge on the base, just the figure, but I assure that they do judge on the base. It really can not be helped, the base will affect their decisions. I was told that by several judges at a national show and it makes sense.




Next up is a 1/16th Tamiya US Infantry troop from the 1st Gulf War. I actually like this figure a lot. Again I think the camouflage pattern is pretty accurate (he is wearing a chemical warfare suit) and the face turned out pretty well. The thing I would change first is the base. That base I have on there just isn't cutting it. Other than that I am pretty pleased with this guy from 5 years ago.




Below are two pictures of the Andrea Miniatures 54mm Mad Karnik and Stonebrain Gozbog. They are goblins and what I wanted to do is make a vignette that shows the one guy on the left acting crazy and the figure one the right looking out of the corner of his eye at him like he is an idiot. I like the paint job and color selection on it and I would not alter what is already there. The only thing I would change on this display is to redo the base. Again, this base just does not cut it. I am beginning to sense a theme in this: Bases need improvement.





The last item up for bid is a 1/16th Dragon Florian Geyer Trooper on Horseback. Again, this one turned out pretty well on the camouflage. The tones on the face would be done differently today but all in all I think it turned out well.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here: